register vote

Register to Vote

Secretary of State  (SOS)

The deadline to register or re-register to vote for any election is 11:59:59 p.m. Pacific Time on the 15th calendar day before that election. If you submit an application after this time, your application will still be processed for future elections. Please do NOT use the online form to register or re-register to vote if you are enrolled in a confidential address program such as Safe at Home. If sharing your address could put you in life-threatening danger, you may be eligible to register to vote confidentially.

General Information: 800-345-8683

Locations Near You

Frequently Asked Questions

No. For security reasons, California law prohibits casting a ballot over the Internet. This also means that county elections officials cannot accept marked ballots sent via email from military and overseas voters. If you are a voter as defined by the federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, you may return your voted ballot to your county elections office only by mail or fax.
To register to vote you must complete a brief voter registration application on paper or online. When you register online, the system will search the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) database for your California driver license or identification card number, date of birth, and last four digits of your social security number. If your information is found and you authorize elections officials' use of your DMV signature, an electronic image of your DMV signature will be added to your voter registration application after you click "submit" at the end of the online application. If there is no signature on file with DMV, all of your information will be transmitted to your county elections office; you will just need to click "print," sign the paper application, and mail it. Your county elections official will contact you when your voter registration application is approved or when more information is needed to confirm your eligibility.
You may submit your voter registration application through the Secretary of State's website. You can also pick up an application at your county elections office, any Department of Motor Vehicles office, and many post offices, public libraries, and government offices. To have a paper application mailed to you call your county elections office or the Secretary of State's toll-free voter hotline at (800) 345-VOTE.

Related Links

Result thumbnail image Online Voter Registration | California Secretary of State

California Online Voter Registration website. Register to vote online, save a stamp!

Result thumbnail image Check Your Voter Registration Status | California Secretary of State

Don't remember if you're registered to vote? Need to check what name you're registered under or what political party you're registered with? Check your ...

My Voter Status - California Secretary of State

Check where you are registered to vote. Check your political party preference. Check your language preference for election materials. Check the status of your ...

Result thumbnail image California Voters

California Voters. Check My Voter Status · Secretary of State - Voting In California · Secretary of State - Register to Vote. Voting in California. Who Can Vote in ...

Result thumbnail image Voter Registration | California Secretary of State

You can apply to register to vote right now by filling in the online application. The application is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, ...

Classification - Voter Registration Application - California Secretary ...

Classification - Voter Registration Application - California Secretary of State.

Result thumbnail image Voting in California | California Secretary of State

Whether it's your first time voting or you are an experienced voter who has moved and just need to re-register to vote, Voting in California will give you everything ...

Registering to Vote | California Secretary of State

Once you register, you may vote in all state and local elections. You will not need to register to vote again unless you change your name or change your political ...