Name Change

Change Name on ID Card

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

If you name has changed, please update it on your ID Card or Driver License by coming in to a DMV office. Please note that you will have to update this information the the Social Security Administration separately.

General Information: 800-777-0133

Locations Near You

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)
  • Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application form DL 44 or DL 44C. (An original DL 44 or 44C form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
  • Give a thumb print
  • Have your picture taken
  • Pay the driver license or identification card application fee.
  • Please contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to change your name on SSA records before you make an appointment with DMV to have your name changed on DMV records. DMV electronically verifies your name, birth date and social security number with the SSA.
  • Acceptable evidence of your new name may be provided by showing an original or certified copy of a Birth Date and Legal presence document or a true full name document.
  • Related Links